To provide expert advice on contractual matters that affect significant numbers of SFWA® members, and to provide a clearinghouse for new developments or issue alerts to SFWA® members regarding those contractual matters.
- Evaluating standard contracts from new publishers with a view to improving their model forms.
- Notifying members about questionable or contentious contractual provisions about which they should be aware.
- Developing Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and responses to issues that commonly arise in contract negotiations.
- Continuing exploration of the contractual issues inherent in new forms of publishing, especially electronic publishing.
- Referring individual matters to the Grievance Committee.
Functions Typically Not Performed
- Reviewing individual contracts. The contracts committee is not counsel for individual SFWA® members.
- Granting an “imprimatur,” “certification,” or any other form of SFWA® “seal of approval” to any contract.
- Resolving grievances between authors and publishers. Responsibility here lies with the Grievance Committee.
To Contact the Contracts Committee
Send email to [email protected]