The Sunburst Award Committee is pleased to announce that the winner of its 2014 adult award is A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki (Penguin Group Canada) and the winner of its 2014 young adult award is The Cats of Tanglewood Forest by Charles de Lint (Little Brown Books). The jurors for the 2014 award are Camille Alexa, Paul Glennon, Bob Knowlton, Nicole Luiken, and Derek Newman-Stille.
The other shortlisted works for the 2014 adult award were:
- Sister Mine by Nalo Hopkinson (Grand Central Publishing – ISBN – 9781455528400)
- River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay (Penguin Group Canada – ISBN – 9780670068401)
- This Strange Way of Dying by Silvia Moreno-Garcia (Exile Editions – ISBN – 9781550963540)
- The Demonologist by Andrew Pyper (Simon & Schuster – ISBN – 9781451697520)
The other shortlisted works for the 2014 young adult award were:
- Sorrow’s Knot by Erin Bow (Scholastic Inc. – ISBN – 9780545166669)
- Homeland by Cory Doctorow (Tom Doherty Associates – ISBN – 9780765333698)
- The Path of Names by Ari Goelman (Scholastic Inc. – ISBN – 9780545474306)
- Urgle by Meaghan McIsaac (Dancing Cat Books – ISBN – 9781770863088)
The jurors for the 2015 award will be S.M. Beiko, Gerard Collins, Paula Johanson, Corey Redekop and Sherryl Vint.
The Sunburst Award for Excellence in Canadian Literature of the Fantastic is an annual award celebrating the best in Canadian fantastic literature published during the previous calendar year. The winners receive a cash prize of $1,000 as well as a medallion which incorporates the Sunburst logo.