News from The Sunburst Awards Society:
The short-listed works in the adult category are:
- The Troop by Nick Cutter (Pocket Books, Simon & Schuster)
- The Back of the Turtle by Thomas King (HarperCollins Publishers Ltd)
- Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (HarperCollins Publishers Ltd)
- My Real Children by Jo Walton (Tor Books)
- Will Starling by Ian Weir (Goose Lane Editions)
- The First Principles of Dreaming by Beth Goobie (Second Story Press)
- Gifts for the One Who Comes After by Helen Marshall (ChiZine Publications)
- Echopraxia by Peter Watts (Tor Books)
The short-listed works in the young adult category are:
- The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier (Amulet Books)
- Tin Star by Cecil Castellucci (Roaring Brook Press)
- A Breath of Frost by Alyxandra Harvey (Bloomsbury Press)
- Sophie, In Shadow by Eileen Kernaghan (Thistledown Press)
- The Door in the Mountain by Caitlin Sweet (ChiTeen)
- Sea of Shadows by Kelley Armstrong (Doubleday Canada)
- Child of a Hidden Sea by A.M. Dellamonica (Tor Books)
- The Boundless by Kenneth Oppel (Harper Trophy Canada)
The awards will be presented in the fall of 2015.
The jurors for the 2015 award are S.M. Beiko, Gerard Collins, Paula Johanson, Corey Redekop and Sherryl Vint.
The Sunburst Award for Excellence in Canadian Literature of the Fantastic is an annual award celebrating the best in Canadian fantastic literature published during the previous calendar year.
The winners receive the Sunburst medallion along with a cash prize of $1,000.
The Sunburst Award takes its name from the debut novel of the late Phyllis Gotlieb, one of the first published authors of contemporary Canadian speculative fiction.
For additional information about the Sunburst Award, the nominees and jurors, as well as previous awards, eligibility and the selection process, please visit the website at www.sunburstaward.org.