SFWA Middle Grade and Young Adult Writers
SFWA Middle Grade and Young Adult Writers is a special interest group supporting SFWA members interested in professionally publishing in the middle grade and young adult markets. Formed in June 2012, the group is currently in the midst of its second trial period. Any interested SFWA members are welcome to join.
SFWA Middle Grade and Young Adult Writers is guided by a three-person steering committee. Those committee members are:
- Jenn Reese (chair)
- Merrie Haskell
- Alethea Kontis
To contact the steering committee, send an email to sfwamgya-steeringcom@
SFWA Middle Grade and Young Adult Writers – Member Guidelines
Purpose of the Middle Grade and Young Adult Writers Group
The primary purpose of this group is to create an integral community within SFWA that is comprised of MG and YA SFWAauthors for mutual support and knowledge sharing, recognizing that MG and YA SFWA authors work in markets with demands that are different from adult SF/F/H. Secondarily, this group aims to provide information to the broader SFWA membership about MG and YA via educational outreach on the SFWA blog, the SFWA discussion forums, the SFWA Bulletin, and at SF/F conventions.
Appointment of MG & YA Chairperson
The SFWA president will appoint a steering committee chairperson, acting with the consent of the Board, for a one-year term.
The president may, with the consent of the board, appoint the committee chairperson for a second one-year term.
Appointment of the Steering Committee
The committee chair will request two additional steering committee members by asking for volunteers from the MG/YA listserve members. If more than two members volunteer for these positions, a vote will be held online among the listserve participants to fill the two vacancies. Steering committee members are expected to serve for one year from July 1 to June 30.
The responsibilities of the steering committee include but are not limited to:
(1) acting as liaisons with the rest of SFWA, including the sfwa.org website, the SFWA Bulletin, and the Norton jury;
(2) moderating the discussion on the listserve, which is co-owned (as “owner” is defined by the hosting listserve) by the steering committee chair and a member of the board designated by the president;
(3) nominate a replacement chairperson to the President for a vacancy for any reason. The President is obligated to consider but not to accept or appoint the nominee.
(4) other responsibilities as agreed upon by the members of SFWA MG & YA Writers.
The steering committee may be contacted at:
Listserve Membership Eligibility
All members of SFWA are eligible to join.
How to Join the Listserve
1. Email the steering committee (sfwamgya-steeringcom@
2. After the steering committee confirms your SFWA membership, the list administrator will issue you an invitation to join theSFWA-MG-YA google group.