Why Join SFWA?
Our mission is to inform, support, promote, defend and advocate for our member writers. Within that mission, there are two rationales which fall broadly into the personal and the societal:
These are a few of the ways in which Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America can help you as an individual writer.
- We can help you promote your work through activities like the Featured Author and Book programs.
- The Grievance Committee can help resolve contractual disputes.
- The Emergency Medical Fund can help you with unexpected medical expenses.
- The private discussion forums offer a chance to talk shop with your peers in the industry.
- SFWA offers members a sense of community, no matter where you live or what you write.
The farther along the career path a writer is, the less SFWA can offer as an individual. An established writer already knows contract pitfalls and has developed a network of peers. But there are issues which an organization can tackle that an individual cannot. Things like:
- SFWA’s work on the Google Book Settlement issue.
- The Kindle Contract Review.
- AboutSF – a resource center for speculative literature, science fiction, and education
- Negotiations with publishers to improve industry standards.
Through our members, we can improve conditions for writers within the Science Fiction and Fantasy genres and foster the tradition of paying it forward. The stronger SFWA becomes, the more effective it can be in advocating for writers.
Does SFWA sound right for you?
SFWA membership is open to authors, artists and other industry professionals, including graphic novelists. See if you qualify.
Want to join SFWA? Our online Application Form takes just a few minutes to complete.