Indie Pub 101 Main Page
Welcome to the home of SFWA’s Indie Pub 101!
The resources that make up Indie Pub 101 were put together by SFWA’s Independent Authors Committee, drawing from their experiences across a wide range of independent publishing backgrounds. Indie Pub 101’s purpose is to provide up-to-date resources for indie authors so they can improve their craft, produce professional books, and promote their work competitively in the digital marketplace, using the best practices and innovations we’ve found as successful indie authors.
What’s indie publishing? In these materials, indie publishing refers to self-publishing, but many of the principles involved can also be applied to a great many hybrid and small press authors. Indeed, many of the marketing and promotional materials are also useful for authors with Big 4 contracts; it’s no secret that creators are increasingly responsible for promoting their projects, no matter their paths to publication.
The following resources are available in Indie Pub 101, and more are on the way!
- Making the Book delves into the nuance of turning written text into an actual product.
- Sales Channels walks authors through how and where to sell their product.
- Marketing the Book primes authors for the daunting task of driving interested readers to their work.
- Creating an Author Website covers the basics of creating your online website presence.
- Setting Up Your Author Business outlines important considerations as authors move their writing from hobby to business.
- Moving Physical Books shares tips for placing physical copies of your books in libraries and bookstores.
For questions about Indie Pub 101, email firstname.lastname@example.org.