Applications will open February 13, 2024 at 12:00 PM Eastern Time and close on February 27 at 12:00 PM Eastern Time for the 2024 Career Mentorship Program, which will occur March 23, 2024 – June 23, 2024.
The SFWA Mentoring Initiative is an all-volunteer service provided free of charge. We aim to connect writers who have questions, whether they are emerging writers or have expansive career experience, with each other with the objective of providing community, sharing knowledge, and offering networking opportunities. This endeavor is focused on professional development rather than artistic development.
There are two distinct mentorship opportunities run by the Mentoring Initiative. Our Conference Mentorship Program primarily takes place during the Nebula Conference, and is an hour-long Q&A session for mentor and mentee to connect and discuss publication industry topics or even simply learn the basics of conference attendance. The Conference Mentorship Program does not extend beyond the conference.
The Career Mentorship Program runs over a three-month period and is described below.
- Mentorships are open to all SFWA members as well as to aspiring members. You do not need to be a member to participate as a mentor or a mentee.
- You must be 21 or older in order to participate.
- Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee a space for every applicant.
- There is no benefit to applying early; applications will open February 13, 2024 at 12:00 PM Eastern Time and close on February 27 at 12:00 PM Eastern Time. Take your time to consider what you want out of this program, so we can best match you to your mentor or mentee, if a spot is available for you.
- The MENTOR application is here.
- Mentees will be chosen in a weighted lottery, but the matches will still be made individually on the basis of application answers.
- The MENTEE application is here.
- We ask that if you have had a successful match as a mentee in one of the previous matching rounds, you don’t apply again for the time being. If your match was dissolved or incomplete, we’re happy to match you again.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any further questions. Thank you for your patience as we continue to develop best practices for mentorships in the speculative fiction industry.