The following pages contain safety resources for members of the writing community on personal and event safety concerns, both in-person and online. Each section is described below; please navigate to the resources that you need.
- Personal Safety Online includes general safety considerations for maintaining an online presence, plus information on doxing, harassment campaigns, and effective record-keeping for documenting harassment.
- Managing the Privacy of Others includes information on how to manage the privacy of others when you handle their personal information, including adhering to international spam laws when setting up mailing lists.
- Safety Considerations for In-Person Events– For Event Planners includes best practice recommendations for event planners. This includes detailed security planning and how to consider safety for authors at events.
- Safety Considerations for In-Person Events – For Attendees includes basic guidance for professional conduct, safety tips for attendees, what to do if harassment occurs, and effective bystander intervention.
- Safety Considerations for In-Person Events – Safety and Accessibility Policy Templates includes templates for anti-harassment policies and accessibility policies, worded for in-person events.
- Safety Considerations for Virtual Platforms includes best practice recommendations for event planners and basic guidance for professional conduct during online events using platforms such as MS Teams, Zoom, etc.
- Safety Considerations for Virtual Platforms – Safety and Accessibility Policy Templates includes templates for anti-harassment policies and accessibility policies, worded for virtual platforms.
- Reporting Incidents to Authorities contains an overview of what to expect when seeking legal or law enforcement help (primarily relevant in the United States).
- Self-Care If You’ve Been Harassed provides suggestions and resources for those dealing with the negative mental health repercussions of targeted harassment.
If you have questions about this material or need assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.